Monday, 18 February 2008

Child on a leash

Perception is a strange thing.


When I first saw this snapshot taken in Australia a few weeks back I felt outraged, disgusted and offended. Have we really become so desensitized in this anonymous computer age that we treat kids like dogs and put them on a leash? And have we really lost our sense of human feeling that we don’t simply want to hold their hands?

But thinking about it again, the women almost certainly cares about the kid. The leash is merely intended to prevent the child from running away from the guardian and getting into an accident. Sure it may not look pretty but it may actually be safer since holding a kid’s hand can be a bit troublesome at times.

These leashes only cost US$14.95 and are selling fast. You can buy one here.

As for me, I’m going to hold my kid’s hand. Tightly.

1 comments:

Sunny said...

I once decided to try to train my cat to walk with a harness and leash from the pet shop because I was concerned about her getting beaten up by other cats because she was very undersized. However, she freaked out and ran as fast as she could, came off the end of the verandah, hit the end of the leash as she reached the end of the verandah, and did a flip onto her head. I decided to forget the harness and let her out when she was bigger.